October 21st, 2015. That is the date Dr. Emmett Brown takes Marty McFly to in the future. Back to the Future II was released into theaters 1989 and gave movie goers a fantastic view of what the future might hold for us and all the marvelous gadgets that we might see in the future.
It’s 2010 now and a lot of the gadgets and things we saw in Back to the Future II still do not exist yet. We still don’t have mass produced flying cars, hover conversions, Mr. Fusions, hoverboards, or jackets that self dry when wet. 3D tech however is gaining momentum however I’m not sure we’ll ever see 3D like they did in the movie with the Jaws scene. There were so many fantastic gadgets and tech in the movie that I’d really like to see invented. Here is my top 5 list of things I want to see in 2015. (List is not in any specific order.)
See my list after the jump.
1. The Mattel Hoverboard – This is something that I know we’ve all wanted ever since seeing Back to the Future II. Whether it be Marty’s pink hoverboard or Griff’s Pit Bull version, we’ve all wanted one.
2. Mr. Fusion – This is what Doc Brown uses on the upgraded version of the DeLorean time machine which allows him to use garbage as a fuel source instead of Plutonium. I’m all for alternative fuels and I definitely would love to be able to use all my wasteful garbage and being able to convert that all into energy. Plus, I imagine gasoline prices to be absurdly high in the year 2015.
3. Self adjusting, self drying clothes – This is a no brainer. I’m tired of not being able to find clothes in specific sizes or just growing out of certain clothes because I’ve packed on a few pounds. I can’t wait until we have the one size fits all clothes that self adjust to whatever size we are. The self-drying part is just a bonus and would surely come in handy here Miami where it rains pretty much every day during the spring and summer. Who wouldn’t love burst of hot air on a cold rainy day.
4. Flying Cars and Hover Conversions – This has been a dream of many for decades. Pretty much every movie about the future features some sort flying car. What’s neat about how Back to the Future II depicts the flying car is that you don’t need a brand new car in order for it to fly. You can opt to purchase a hover conversion for your old car and have it be able to drive on the road or fly in the air all for the low low price of $39,999.95.
5. Sleep Induced Alpha Rhythm Generator – This is one of the first devices that Doc Brown uses after arriving in the future with Marty and Jennifer. He uses it on Jennifer to put her to sleep because she is asking too many questions about her future. Basically, the device has 2 lights on it that shines into a person’s eyes sending a signal to their brain that causes them to fall asleep. I don’t know how many times I’ve laid in bed unable to fall asleep. If people could just “flash” themselves with this device to fall asleep, there would be no need anymore for sleeping drugs.
That’s my top 5 list of item’s I’d like to see happen before 2015 comes rolling along. We still have 5 years to make it happen and judging by the speed at which technical innovation is happening at now, I wouldn’t be surprised if we do see some of these devices.
On a side note, I really hope in the year 2015, we will have much better fashion sense than those in the movie. I mean seriously, neon tie-dye hats? No thank you.
What other gadgets would you guys like to see in the next 5 years that was featured in Back to the Future II? Let me know in the comments.